Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses known to cause respiratory infections. These can range from the common cold to more serious diseases such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic is a fluid situation, that is impacting all aspects of our lives, with varying impacts across Australia and the world.The FRDC will review and update its policies and actions as often as needed, providing updates via the website.
It is important people seek the best, most up to date information:
- The Australian Department of Health updates the ‘Health Alert’ page every day with the latest medical advice and official reports.
- For questions about testing or the welfare of people with the virus, contact your state or territory health authority.
- The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee makes decisions on immigration and travel policies to manage international health risks on behalf of the Australian Government.
- Australians travelling overseas are encouraged to regularly review the Smartraveller website and subscribe for updates.
For up-to-date information on the Australian Government’s response to COVID-19 visit the Australian Government’s website which provides the latest news, updates and advice from government agencies across Australia.
Stay informed and protected
Download the official government apps to stay up to date and protected.
The COVIDSafe app is a tool that helps identify people exposed to coronavirus (COVID-19). This helps us support and protect you, your friends and family. Please read the content on this page before downloading.
Your health is of prime importance to the FRDC. If you are in need of assistance - even if it's just someone to speak with - the following organisations are worth a call:
- HealthDirect - https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/coronavirus
- Lifeline Australia - 13 11 14, http://www.lifeline.org.au
- Mensline - 1300 789 978, http://www.mensline.org.au
- Kids Helpline - 1800 551 80, http://www.kidshelpline.com.au
- Beyond Blue - 1300 22 4636, http://www.beyondblue.org.au
- Aussie Helpers - 1300 665 232, https://aussiehelpers.org.au
- The Ripple Effect - http://www.therippleeffect.com.au
The Coronavirus Health Information Line is available to call 24 hrs, 7 days per week for information on Coronavirus 1800-020-080.