Lime and Lemongrass BBQ Skewered Prawns
For this recipe we have allowed 6 prawns to a skewer and 2 skewers per person. You may vary this recipe by doubling the ingredients to feed more people or modify portions to be an entree.
Tips to prevent scales from flying around:1. scale under water, or
2. place the board at an angle in the sink.
3. pay particular attention to the areas around the belly, gills and fins because the scales there can be easily missed.
4. on finfish with large scales, it may be easier to scale the head region first and then work back towards the tail. The scales near the head have fewer scales overlapping them hindering their removal.
5. when you grasp the head to scale the finfish, hold the pectoral fin back with your thumb because the small bones in the fin can be dangerous if flicked out when scaling.
Wrapping in lettuce, cabbage, spinach or even seaweed can:
1. add flavour
2. shape the seafood
3. help keep the flesh together
4. help retain moisture
Tips for using ice to chill seafood
choose snow, flake or shaved ice and surround the seafood
Tips for SteamingSeafood can be steamed over plain water, but a concentrated stock flavoured with vegetables, herbs or citrus, for example, will impart a subtle flavour.
Tips for shallow frying
If flour is the only coating used, apply it immediately prior to cooking.
Prevent sticking by ensuring that the oil is hot before adding the seafood. But make sure the oil is not so hot that it smokes (unless preparing a Cajun-style "blackened" fish).